Thursday, May 10, 2007

This is no laughing matter!

The newspaper coverage of my performance at the Free Speech Day had both Annikki and me in splits of laughter. It was not about what I said but the attitudes shown by those that covered the event.

As I have mentioned earlier, the newspaper Kaleva tried to neutralise the effect of accepting my challenge to prove me wrong by introducing in their Main Editorial the fact that Freedom House had claimed that Finland was rated among the top countries of the world as regards the Freedom of the Press.

This is what Annikki and I wrote to Freedom House:

from Annikki Matthan
to info@freedomhouse.org
date May 4, 2007 11:55 PM
subject Surprised ay your rankings!

Dear Sirs,

We are truly amazed at your ranking that Finland is at the top of the Free Press list.

Either your ranking system is run by some incompetent people or you have fallen for the beautiful Finnish methodology of creating an IMAGE, an image which is far from the truth.

See this Blog Entry at

http://jmatthan.blogspot.com/2007/05/oulus-hyde-park-corner.html

--
Annikki & Jacob Matthan
Oulu, Finland



Kaleva index page coverage.


Oulu and the neighbourhood page coverage.


The Finnish radio and tv may not have covered my outburst, (as far as I know), although I have heard reports that I was covered!

Wonder how they pushed it?


Oululehti coverage.


Another Oulu newspaper, not mainstream, Oululehti, had no coverage of the substance in the event, but in a section called "Bridge view" shared with its readers what a passerby would have seen and heard. What they wrote was truly hilarious, but substantially off the mark.

They referred to me as the "talkative Indian", "speaking in English which flew above the heads of the listeners", "creating the flavour of Hyde Park", "was certainly heard"...

The writer was right in all these issues except that what I said flew over the heads of the listeners. The journalist obviously did not hear the thunderous applause that I received.

But the Kaleva certianly got part of the message which they highlighted in "blue".



It reads as "The Police is corrupt, the Magistrate is corrupt, the Public Guardian is corrupt."

Of course, I did not stop there, as the main thrust of my speech is the reason all these forces of power are corrupt is because the "media, symbolised by Kaleva, is corrupt."

The content of my talk was certainly no laughing matter, and none of the audience laughed at the substance.

But the press coverage certainly amused us!

No comments: